but my real goal was natural dying, arming myself with tons of wise words from blogs and forums, I finally gave it a try.
I soaked my wool, then added it to a pot of water with alum & cream of tartar, this is your mordant, helping the dye fix to the wool, gently heating.
The dye was made using Brazilnut wood chips, heated and soaked for a day.
When the wool was ready, I added it into the dye pot and cooked again gently.
Left to cool and then hung out to dry.
Great info on natural dying here -
http://simmy.typepad.com/echoesofadream/ sadly Simmy, no longer blogs but has left some great advice and gorgeous pictures of her projects.
http://naturalsuburbia.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-dye-yarn-with-sun-dye.html this looks like great fun and excellent for involving children.
This was so much easier than I thought and there is really so much help and advice available.
And now, I am knitting it up, into a Pebble Vest for my boy.
Having knitted so many of these for friends new babes, I was delighted to find a sized up pattern on Ravelry.
I am nocton4 there, please feel free to "friend" me, I'd love to see your projects.
I am working my way through the links and will be giving it another go later in the week, will report back.